The Wendy’s at the corner of Prince Avenue and Newton Street caught fire about 4:30 p.m., spewing smoke with the odor of burning plastic over the neighborhood.
No one was hurt, according to bystanders.
The cause wasn’t immediately available, but the blaze appeared to be mainly confined to the restaurant’s roof, although the dining room clearly was damaged by smoke.
At 5 p..m., about a dozen firefighters and several trucks were still on the scene.
Like what you just read? Support Flagpole by making a donation today. Every dollar you give helps fund our ongoing mission to provide Athens with quality, independent journalism.