A fire at Mama’s Boy Sunday burned two cooks badly enough that they were taken by helicopter to Grady Hospital in Atlanta.
A flash fire erupted in the Oak Street restaurant’s kitchen at about 11:40 a.m., said Athens-Clarke County Fire Department Battalion Chief Gary Jeffers. No one else was injured, and it was already out by the time firefighters arrived minutes later, he said.
The two burned employees were taken by ambulance to Athens-Ben Epps Airport, then by Life Flight to Grady (not Augusta, as some have been reporting), Jeffers said. Their names have not been released.
Jeffers described their injuries as serious, but not life-threatening.
“They are resting and healing and we hope they are able to come home soon,” said a message posted to Mama’s Boy’s Facebook page. “Thank you for your continued prayers.”
The building itself was undamaged, but Jeffers said the restaurant will remain closed Monday while the investigation continues. Officials have no suspicion of arson, he said, but they are still determining whether the fire started due to gas, grease, an equipment problem or some other cause.
Like what you just read? Support Flagpole by making a donation today. Every dollar you give helps fund our ongoing mission to provide Athens with quality, independent journalism.