2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 c. dark brown sugar
heaping 1/4 c. white sugar
2/3 c. pecans, coarsely chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. whiskey
3/4 c. milk
generous 1/4 c. maple syrup, plus extra for glazing
6 tbsp. vegetable oil (or butter, melted)
20 pecan halves
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Stir in the sugar and chopped pecans.
4. In a smaller bowl, beat together the eggs, whiskey, milk, maple syrup and oil.
5. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour in the beaten liquid ingredients. Stir gently until just combined.
6. Spray your muffin tin(s) with cooking spray, or line with paper liners. You will need at least two muffin tins. We use one regular 12-count and one mini 12-count muffin pan, and are able to make 12 regular-sized muffins and eight mini-sized muffins. Depending on how much mixture you put into each cup, you can get more muffins than this out of this recipe!
7. With a large spoon, fill each muffin cup with the mixture, and top each with a pecan half.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until firm to the touch and lightly golden-brown on the bottoms. I usually rotate my muffin tins once, halfway through the estimated cooking time.
9. Let cool in the tins for two minutes, then lightly brush the tops with the remaining maple syrup to glaze. Serve warm, or transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Like what you just read? Support Flagpole by making a donation today. Every dollar you give helps fund our ongoing mission to provide Athens with quality, independent journalism.