If you’re part of an audience that, while watching Stephen Sondheim’s musical “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street,” about the Victorian fictional character who turned his murder victims into meat pies, found yourself wondering what those pies would taste like, then you are a sick person. You’ll also find your curiosity satisfied starting Saturday evening, when the UGA Department of Drama and Theatre, which is presenting the musical April 14–24, has an open cast party at 7 p.m. at Pouch downtown.
The local pie shop is collaborating with the UGA department to promote the play by featuring five Sweeney Todd-themed pies for the next month in the restaurant and selling them in the lobby before the play starts. There are a whole bunch of discounts on pies if you buy tickets or on tickets if you buy pies, detailed at the link above.
Pies on offer include:
- Mrs. Lovett’s Signature Steak Pie (“this pie is made with a human touch; Real tenderloin ‘beef’ with tomato, chorizo, and lentils. A real people pleaser!”)
- The Piety Pie (“we’ve learnt how to serve our fellow man; Try this heavenly pie with braised ‘pork’ and a sticky sweet chili BBQ sauce”)
- The General Pie (“with or without his privates – with is extra; Ground ‘beef’ in a tomato gravy with a little something extra”)
- Kate & Sydney Pie (“If you’re fed up with other people, try this pie! Tenderloin steak and kidney in a rich, hearty gravy”)
- The One That Got Away (“If people make you sick, tuck into our veggie pie filled with peppers, squash, zucchini, spinach, red onion, feta and smoked gouda.”)
Like what you just read? Support Flagpole by making a donation today. Every dollar you give helps fund our ongoing mission to provide Athens with quality, independent journalism.