April is a time for food events in Athens, just as it is a time for every other kind of event. Here is some of what’s coming up:
- Avid Bookshop will host Cheryl and Griff Day of Back in the Day Bakery in Savannah on Saturday, Apr. 11 at 6:30 p.m. to promote their new cookbook, Back in the Day, Made with Love.
- Heirloom Cafe will host a dinner at DaySpring Farms on Apr. 13 at 6 p.m. Four courses + Creature Comforts beer pairings = $65.
- The Pine is hosting an Athens Chef Dinner on the same day at the same time, but not in the same place. It has eight courses and wine as well as beer, also for $65.
- Ben & Jerry’s, downtown, is having a free cone day Apr. 14 from noon–8 p.m. to benefit Bag the Bag. The organization, which seeks to reduce plastics, says, “If you bring us your stash of plastic bags (you know the one in your pantry or under your sink), you’ll receive a pass to cut in line!”
- Jackson County is introducing a monthly “Cultivator Market,” beginning Apr. 18 from 9 a.m.–1 p.m. at the Shields Ethridge Heritage Farm, in Jefferson. More info, mostly pertaining to vendors but some to visitors, is available at the SEHF website. A list of vendors at the first one, including Athens’ Mama Bird’s, is here.
- The Shotgun Dinners crew will be doing its annual pig roast in conjunction with the Twilight Criterium Apr. 25 and is asking for contributions through Kickstarter.
- Kiki’s Bakeshop will celebrate its one-year anniversary Apr. 25, with free coffee and pastries, free milk and cookies for kids and raffles for pies, cakes and more. Kiki’s is also about to have seven-layer bars, chocolate chip cookies and raspberry chocolate scones available at Whole Foods.
Like what you just read? Support Flagpole by making a donation today. Every dollar you give helps fund our ongoing mission to provide Athens with quality, independent journalism.