Since its launch in June 2018, Get Artistic—Creature Comforts’ community impact program designed to foster place attachment by investing in the creative economy—has disbursed over $34,000 in unrestricted grants to individual artists and arts-focused nonprofits in the Athens area. In the past, the program has provided funding to a variety of projects that range from visual, musical, movement, film and theater arts. With a mission to remove obstacles for self-supporting artists, the program also curates the brewery’s exhibition and performance space, provides patronage through commissions and artist-in-residence programs, and creates enrichment opportunities for the public. To read about previous recipients and additional details on the program, visit here. If interested in applying for a grant, fill out the online application. Questions can be directed to Madeline Bates, Get Artistic Program Lead, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read the official Request for Proposals below:
Overview: Creature Comforts Brewing Co.’s annual Get Artistic program funds strategic grant proposals that contribute to the vibrancy of Athens, Georgia’s creative community. Since launching in June 2018, the program has disbursed more than $34,000 in unrestricted grants to support both arts-focused nonprofits and individual artists serving the Athens area, which is funded primarily through the Get Artistic beer brand and associated merchandise throughout the program’s “season of emphasis.” For a full breakdown of the program, click here.
Purpose: Using Clarke County’s 20-Year Action Agenda as our guide, Get Artistic is intended to foster place attachment by investing in the creative economy. Specifically, we look to the Priority Actions and data developed by CREATE Athens—Envision Athens’ Arts & Culture subset—for how funds would best serve the community. Such purposes include increasing accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the arts (for creators and consumers); professional development for artists; and sustaining and increasing public venues for artistic expression. Please refer to pages 86-87 of Envision Athens’ Action Agenda and/or page 7 of the 2020 Work Plan for more information.
Eligibility: Applicants must be 18 years or older and live and work in the Athens, Georgia area.
• Applicant’s contact information: name, email, phone, and mailing address
• Website, digital portfolio, and/or social media accounts, if available
• Description of how funds would be used (<500 words), description of overall cost of proposal (itemized budget breakdown preferred), and information about other funding sources being pursued (sponsorships, grants, etc.). Proposals must be tied to a specific purpose.
• If the applicant is an individual artist: a document with at least one item representing your artistic practice (e.g. images, recordings, CV); information about any collaborations in the past year, if applicable; overview of any nonprofit fiscal sponsorship, if applicable
• If the applicant is a nonprofit agency: mission statement; EIN number; 2019 operating costs; number of employees and/or primary volunteers
Budget: In 2020, grant amounts are not capped. Get Artistic funds raised by October 31, 2020 will be distributed between selected grant recipients. Proposals may be partially funded.
• Applications will be accepted through July 17, 2020.
• Grant recipients will be selected and notified by July 31, 2020.
• The Get Artistic season of emphasis will run from August 22 to October 21, 2020.
• Funds will be disbursed in November 2020.
Like what you just read? Support Flagpole by making a donation today. Every dollar you give helps fund our ongoing mission to provide Athens with quality, independent journalism.