This week, we published a list of our 17 favorite local albums of 2017, which you should make a point to dig into while knocking back a few 'nogs over the holiday break.
For the fun of it—and because lists!—here are my top 10 non-local records of the year, with accompanying audio. You can also check out this Spotify playlist that includes a bunch of my favorite songs of the year.
Lemme see your lists in the comments!
1. Slowdive: Slowdive (Dead Oceans)
2. The Clientele: Music for the Age of Miracles (Merge)
3. The Feelies: In Between (Bar None)
4. The Weather Station: The Weather Station (Paradise of Bachelors)
5. Four Tet: New Energy (Text)
6. Vince Staples: Big Fish Theory (Def Jam)
7. Tara Jane O’Neil: Tara Jane O’Neil (Gnomonsong)
8. Thurston Moore: Rock N Roll Consciousness (Ecstatic Peace)
9. Julie Byrne: Not Even Happiness (Ba Da Bing)
10. Karriem Riggins: Headnod Suite (Stones Throw)
Other stuff I loved: Kendrick Lamar, DAMN.; Tobin Sprout, The Universe and Me; Nadia Reid, Preservation; Jlin, Black Origami; Bill Orcutt, Bill Orcutt; Thundercat, Drunk; all of Selena Gomez's singles; Lorde, Melodrama.