Dear Athens, please stop scheduling more events in April. Love, me and everyone else.
Sure, the weather is mostly nice and we're all desperate to get out of our houses to experience it. Flowers are blooming, and plants are starting to produce fruit, and produce boxes are getting going. There are reasons that every damn event ever is in April. But grumble grumble FOMO overscheduled. Here are some of those events:
- UGA's College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences is hosting chef Dan Barber (of NYC's Blue Hill, one of the foremost restaurants in the country) for a lecture on Apr. 10 at 2 p.m. at the Richard B. Russell Building Special Collections Libraries.
- A bit before that, starting at noon the same day, it's free cone day at Ben & Jerry's.
- That evening, chef Eddie Hernandez (of Taqueria del Sol) will be doing a cooking demo and signing his new cookbook (Turnip Greens and Tortillas: A Mexican Chef Spices Up the Southern Kitchen) at Avid Bookshop in Five Points at 6 p.m.
- Athens Beer Week runs Apr. 9–15, with a beer dinner at Akademia on Apr. 10 ($55), another one at Chops & Hops on Apr. 11, a science cafe event on brewing on Apr. 12 at 7 p.m. at Little Kings, special pours all week and Classic City Brewfest on Sunday, Apr. 15, from 2:30–6 p.m. at Athens Cotton Press.
- White Tiger Gourmet's birthday party is Apr. 13 from 6–8 p.m., with live music, cake, food specials, etc.
- Terrapin's 16th anniversary carnival is Apr. 14 from 4:30–8:30 p.m.
- The next Athens Chefs Dinner is Apr. 16 at 6:30 p.m. at home.made, with eight courses focusing on greens for $50 plus tax and tip. It's a fundraiser for the next issue of Crop Stories. Reservations at 706-206-9216.
- On Apr. 20 from 3–10 p.m., Creature Comforts will celebrate its fourth anniversary with a can release party for Legend Has It // Illuminating the Fog.
- Saucehouse will have its annual Crawfish Fest on Apr. 21 from noon–10 p.m.
- And on Apr. 25 at 6 p.m., Cathy Cleary (ex-West End Bakery, in Asheville) will be signing The Southern Harvest Cookbook at the Prince Avenue Avid.